Bilingual Medical Assistant - Genetics
The Medical Assistant is responsible for providing support to corresponding clinics by assisting patients and their family members before, during and after a doctor’s visit. Medical assistants work alongside doctors, nurses and other clinical personnel, performing functions that help the clinic run smoothly. This position would be working in the Genetics Clinic.
Duties and Essential Job Functions:
- Prepares patients for examination and assisting physician during treatment, examinations, and testing of patients.
- Assists with obtaining vital signs, documents chief complaint and all actions taken.
- Assists with obtaining patient history, assists physicians, residents and/or licensed nursing personnel.
- Performs basic patient procedures, sets up exam/procedure rooms including instruments for minor procedures, preparations may include administering medications (excluding IV) under direct supervision of a physician.
- Obtains lab specimen and fills out requisitions completely and accurately.
- Review patient medications.
- Ensure all related reports, labs and information is filed and available in patients’ medical records prior to their appointment.
- Document in Electronic Medical Record patient-related communication and interventions.
- Patient phone calls for appointment reminders.
- Prepares, restocks, and disinfects examination rooms, procedure rooms, lab area, and all other patient care areas.
- Sterilize medical equipment as assigned by division.
- Assist with additional duties as assigned.
- Maintains patient confidentiality and HIPAA compliance according to Federal guidelines.
Required Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Medical Assistant Diploma
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Previous MA clinic experience.
- Previous pediatric experience.
- Experience in Genetics
Required Licensure/Certification/Specialized Training:
- Valid CPR-BLS card
- Fingerprint Clearance Card
Preferred Licensure/Certification/Specialized Training:
- Medical Assistant Certification
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of the heath care field, medical terminology, and medical office protocol.
- Knowledge of basic computer software programs: MS Office and EMR.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize work flow.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Able to interact with others with diplomacy and tact.
- Skilled in understanding patient education needs and effectively communicate that information to patients.
- Ability to project a pleasant and professional image.
- Knowledge and ability to work with special needs patients.
- Ability to learn and retain information regarding patient care procedures.
- Prolonged standing, sitting, walking, reading, writing, talking and use of computer.
- Normal clinical work environment
Job Status: Full Time