Chief Risk Officer
District Medical Group, Inc. (DMG) is well known as a respected leader in the Phoenix healthcare industry, with a reputation for outstanding leadership, innovation and dedication to the patients and communities we serve. DMG employs over 650 credentialed providers and more than 350 professional/administrative staff as one of the largest physician groups in the Valley.
What Does DMG Offer?
DMG continuously strives for and succeeds in providing a strong and positive work environment through employee appreciation, team collaboration, competitive compensation, mentoring, growth opportunity, and attractive benefits that include:
- A strong benefits package inclusive of Medical, Dental and Vision, and several voluntary benefits, Effective DAY ONE
- Flexible Spending Account option
- Company-paid STD and LTD
- A rich 401(k) with employer match, increasing annually up to 6%
- 4 weeks of Paid Time Off, increasing after 3 years.
- Paid Sick Time
- 10 paid holidays, annually
- and more
About the Role:
The Chief Risk Officer, Associate General Counsel is responsible for all Risk Management activities for DMG, which include administering the risk management program on a day-to-day basis, managing and analyzing risk management data and conducting risk management educational programs, with the objective of controlling and minimizing loss to protect the assets of the corporation, managing claims against the organization, assigning and directing defense counsel, answering legal questions, reviewing contracts, and limited scope legal services for provider representation.
Serves as Vice President of District Medical Group Insurance Company (Captive), and is responsible for oversight of the Captive Insurance Company activities which include coordinating insurance coverage and risk financing, loss runs, managing claims and managing lawsuits
As a Registered Nurse, oversees the DMG employee health and infection prevention programs under the direction of the Chief Medical Officer.
This is a full-time position, Monday through Friday.
Primary Responsibilities of the Role:
- Plans, coordinates, and administers a broad, comprehensive insurance program including insurance purchasing, insurance consulting, administering self-insured coverage’s and coordinating claims handling for multiple insurance lines.
- Responsible for oversight of global Risk Management budget and Captive Insurance Company budget.
- Assists providers with any questions related to legal matters which arise related to their DMG duties including medical malpractice, civil cases, criminal cases, state board actions, administrative hearings, etc. Provides limited scope legal services to providers for state board actions, administrative hearings, and fact witness testimony.
- Conducts legal review of DMG contracts.
- Oversees and directs the performances of investigations of incidents and claims via review of the medical record and other appropriate documents, interviews of persons involved including physicians/providers, patients, families, and other appropriate witnesses.
- Provides analysis of investigative results for the purposes of establishing a preliminary and ongoing assessment of liability throughout the case/matter.
- Provides recommendations about the management of claims and other liability situations based upon the investigations performed.
- Oversees the development and maintenance of accurate and detailed records and files involving incidents and investigations.
- Directs all claims handling and defense preparation activities of defense counsel and others involved in claims handling and coordinates communications with the insurance carrier.
- Recommends appropriate revisions to new or existing policies and procedures to prevent future occurrences of matters leading to a claim; recommends ways to reduce/eliminate risk to the organization.
- Responds to professional liability and company liability questions posed by physicians/providers and other personnel.
- Supervises accumulation of risk management cost data for budgetary and historical purposes.
- Oversees the development and implementation of educational programs in risk prevention and risk control.
- Coordinates and evaluates the activities of the Third-Party Administrator (for med mal claims), the insurance carrier services, the Captive Management services, the insurance brokerage services, and the Captive Actuarial Services.
- Oversees the completion of provider claim history letters for all requests from credentialing bodies and provides DMG’s Credentialing Committee with provider claim history for their term at DMG when providers are re-credentialed.
- Oversees the day-to-day work of the DMG Captive Insurance Company and serves on its Board. Coordinates all captive related activities.
- Develops and maintains all loss runs for DMG related to the Captive and other risk management related claims. Sets all case reserves and manages all data updates and reporting of loss runs to required entities.
- Provides committee/board summary reports on incidents, claims, reserves, and claims payments.
- Attends all settlement conferences and negotiates all Risk Management related settlements on behalf of DMG.
- Provides day-to-day management of all Risk Management department staff.
- Serves on multiple DMG committees including, the Risk Management Committee, Safety Committee, Policy & Procedure Committee, Credentialing Committee, and any other committees as required.
- Provides development and oversight of DMG Risk Management Incident Reporting System.
- Oversees the DMG employee health and infection prevention programs.
The Successful Candidate Will Possess:
- Arizona Registered Nurse License preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
- Master’s degree in business or healthcare administration preferred
- Certification in risk management preferred
- Juris Doctor Degree and Law License preferred
- 5 years in patient care with well-rounded clinical background
- 5 years of healthcare related legal experience
- Greater than 10 years in Healthcare Risk Management in hospital and outpatient settings
- Experience in management of wide range of insurance product lines
- Experienced in healthcare claims management and medical legal case management
- Experienced in Captive Insurance
- Knowledge of the healthcare system, clinical procedures, and budget preparation.
- Ability to plan, coordinate, evaluate and direct the activities of the risk management personnel, medical legal defense team, captive management team, actuarial team, broker team and projects in the office environment.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective relationship with staff and physicians; organize work and achieve goals and objectives; research and prepare comprehensive reports; adapt to constantly changing situations.
- Knowledge of wide range of insurance product lines and ability to review, negotiate and renew multiple lines of insurance coverage.
- Knowledge of medical legal claims process and management and ability to review/analyze information related to standard of care and other exposures to the organization.
- Knowledge of captive insurance company management.
- Knowledge of loss run development and maintenance.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks with multiple priorities; contribute to DMG projects and problem solving efforts; facilitate the operation of clinical staff by supporting policies and by ability to act as a resource person for staff members; motivate staff and influence positive morale.
- Extensive analytical problem-solving skills.
- Accountability for activities, issues, decisions and results.
- Excellent communication skills; strong customer service skills.
- Able to work under pressure; ability to work with all types of patients and providers.
- Understanding of Risk Management principals and concepts.
- Computer proficiency (MS Office – Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook).
- Must be well organized and detail-oriented.
Employee Health Compliance:
As a condition of employment, DMG requires its employees to comply with Employee Health standards. All employees must provide proof of Tuberculosis clearance as well as Influenza immunization (or an approved declination). Specific roles, depending on location/job responsibilities will require proof of immunization or antibodies for Hepatitis B, MMR, TDAP, and Varicella.
- Pay Type Salary
- Min Hiring Rate $170,000.00
- Max Hiring Rate $185,000.00
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree