Promotes dental health by completing dental prophylaxis, providing screening and radiographic studies, charting conditions of decay and disease, and performing procedures in compliance with the Dental Practice Act.
What You Will Do:
- Prepares treatment room for patient by adhering to prescribed procedures and protocols.
- Prepares patient for dental hygiene treatment by welcoming, soothing, seating, and draping patient.
- Provides information to patients and employees by answering questions and requests.
- Maintains instrumentation for dental hygiene treatment by sharpening, sterilizing, and selecting instruments.
- Selects materials and equipment for dental hygiene visit by evaluating patient’s oral health.
- Completes dental prophylaxis by cleaning deposits and stains from teeth and from beneath gum margins.
- Detects disease by completing oral cancer screening; feeling and visually examining gums, using probes to locate periodontal disease and to assess levels of recession and exposing and developing radiographic studies.
- Arrests dental decay by applying fluorides and other cavity- preventing agents.
- Maintains patient appearance and ability to masticate by fabricating temporary restorations, cleaning, and polishing removable appliances.
- Helps dentist manage dental and medical emergencies by maintaining CPR certification, emergency drugs and oxygen supply, and directory of emergency numbers.
- Educates patients by giving oral hygiene and plaque control instructions and postoperative instructions and providing reminders of time of next dental hygiene visit.
- Documents dental hygiene services by recording vital signs and medical and dental histories and charting in patient records.
- Maintains patient confidence and protects operations by keeping information confidential.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control policies and protocols.
- Ensures operation of dental equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements, following manufacturer’s instructions, troubleshooting malfunctions, and calling for repairs, maintaining equipment inventories, and evaluating new equipment and techniques.
- Maintains dental supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level, anticipating needed supplies, placing and expediting orders for supplies, and verifying receipt of supplies.
- Conserves dental resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results.
- Other duties as assigned.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be interpreted an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, and duties required of employees assigned to this job.
What You Will Bring to the Role:
- Use of dental technology
- Dental health maintenance
- Infection control
- Health promotion and maintenance
- Bedside manner
- Creating a safe, effective environment
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, including meeting qualitative and/or federal, state and local standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
Education or Equivalency
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- State registered Dental Hygienist
- 2+ years in a dental office
- Experience with children and/or patients with special need preferred.
- Experience with EMR, medical terminology a plus
FTE Status/Scheduled Hours of Work:
- This can be a part-time or full-time position, Monday through Friday. Occasional evening work may be required and/or hours may be shortened as job duties demand.
Environmental Working Conditions
- Normal clinical environment.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Job Start Date Tuesday, September 7, 2021