FAMILY MEDICINE PHYSICIAN - Refugee Focused
An opportunity exists for a Board Certified/Board Eligible, Family Practice physician with a passion for clinical medicine. The successful candidate will work in an outpatient setting within a Family Health Center. The facility is part of the Valleywise Health Care System which provides care to the underserved population of metro Phoenix, Arizona, including a growing migrant population of newly resettled refugees and asylum-seekers. Hospital referrals are through Valleywise Health Medical Center (VHMC), a 450-bed hospital with a Level 1 Trauma and Burn Center which is an affiliated academic partner for the Creighton University School of Medicine and the University of Arizona College of Medicine (Phoenix).
The Family Health Centers qualify for the Federal HPSA Loan Repayment Program and have a system score of 21.
Candidates must have an M. D. or D.O. degree, valid Arizona medical license, and be Board-certified or Board eligible.
Candidates must be able to work in a variety of clinic settings. Applicant must have excellent interpersonal skills and an outstanding work ethic. Prior clinical experiences in cross-cultural care, working with migrant communities, including refugees and/or asylum-seekers, and community service are preferred, while speaking additional language(s) are a plus.
This unique position includes providing family-centered health care to migrant families from around the world in FQHC Family Health Centers. Our comprehensive, innovative and nationally recognized Refugee Health Clinics at Valleywise Health comprise 3 distinct clinics: Refugee Family Medicine, Refugee Pediatrics, and Refugee Women’s Health each with their own team of Cultural Health Navigators (CHNs) and providers. For over 13 years, we have provided team-based, patient-centered care that integrates CHNs who are certified medical interpreters speaking up to 18 languages, and who also serve as critical cultural brokers in building trust, health literacy, and facilitating care coordination and patient navigation in order to enhance the provision of quality, culturally informed, and linguistically appropriate health care. There are many opportunities to become involved in cutting edge research and specialty services for this population such as in the provision of care to men, women, and children who are in need of trauma-informed care and services.
We provide wholistic, culturally grounded, linguistically inclusive services to families in a professional, culturally, and linguistically appropriate manner, while seeking to reduce/eliminate health disparities and cultural barriers to care. Joining our team would give you an opportunity to make a meaningful difference in the lives of a vulnerable population.
This position requires the following:
- Passion for providing care for families, including men, women, and children
- Dedication to a wide spectrum of primary care serving newly arrived migrant populations including immigrants, refugees, and asylum-seekers
- Educating, Managing, and providing care for medically and socially complex and vulnerable populations who often possess cultural, linguistic barriers to care and other social determinants of health.
- Understand the importance of trauma-informed care and being willing to work closely with health care providers across other primary care and specialty services including Refugee Pediatrics and Refugee Women’s, as well as across other health, behavioral health and social service providers serving migrant communities both within and outside of Valleywise Health
- Working as part of an Integrated Team of Physicians, Advanced Practice Practitioners, and Cultural Health Navigators in a high-acuity family-centered model of care
- Supervising and Educating Residents
- Providing Preventive Health Services across the life course
- Willingness to support research efforts examining health disparities among refugee populations and supporting efforts to advance health equity
DMG is a not-for-profit faculty practice consisting of more than 400 providers who represent all the major medical and surgical specialties and subspecialties. DMG is the academic faculty practice plan affiliated with the area’s most comprehensive teaching hospital and medical center, Valleywise Health Medical Center.
DMG offers an outstanding work environment, competitive compensation plan/benefits package, paid time off, CME allowance with paid time off and employer paid malpractice insurance.
For consideration, please forward CV by email
Job Status: Full Time