Financial Counselor 1 - Self Pay **Bilingual**
The Financial Counselor 1 is responsible to assist patients or the parties responsible for their finances to organize and coordinate their financial obligations. This position is involved with the self- pay patient to discuss financial responsibility for in-patient and out-patient procedures. They assist the patient or their responsible party in creating and understanding a financial picture and developing solutions to meet their financial responsibilities.
What You Will Do:
- Responsible for quotes on procedure costs for True Self Pay Patients. (No Insurance)
- Responsible for answering the patient's questions regarding financial issues, payment options, medical coverage and assistance programs.
- Understand and update CPT codes associated with in-patient and out- patient procedures.
- Collect payment(s) for procedures and charges located in IDX.
- Responsible to update EPIC (facility system) so clinics can schedule procedures.
- Review accounts in IDX to determine if statements have gone out. Analyze if information should be sent to collections or charity write offs.
- Assist with monthly Crunch Report
- Perform related duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Maintain compliance with all company policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be interpreted an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, and duties required of employees assigned to this job.
What You Bring to the Role:
- Knowledge of medical collections practices and job responsibilities.
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Knowledge working with self-pay, Medicare, Medicaid and AHCCCS
- Understanding/compliance of HIPAA laws and regulations.
- Able to differentiate between primary and secondary insurance payers.
- Computer proficiency (MS Office - Word, Excel and Outlook)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to effectively communicate with internal and external customers.
- Ability to read, understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Must be well organized and detail-oriented.
- Must be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude and providing exemplary customer service.
- Ability to work independently and to carry out assignments to completion within parameters of instructions given, prescribed routines, and standard accepted practices.
- Ability to operate standard office machines and equipment, including telephones, computers, copy machines, fax machines, calculators, scanners and shredders.
- Ability to type 35 wpm.
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, including meeting qualitative and/or federal, state and local standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
Education or Equivalency
- High School Diploma or GED
- 1 + years medical collections experience preferred
- 1+ years customer service experience preferred
- 1+ years medical office or hospital setting
- Prior experience with IDX/EPIC preferred.
- This is a full-time position, Monday through Friday. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required and/or hours may be shortened as job duties demand. as job duties demand.
Environmental Working Conditions
- Normal office environment.
- The noise level of the work environment is usually low to moderate.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education High School
- Job Start Date Monday, December 28, 2020